If you prefer to do painting or decorative works, chances are high that your items may get a few drops of paint. However, cleaning such stain spots is super easy. Use your favorite steam iron and keep your workwear clean.
In this article, I’ll cover this particular method. Hence, read this article and remove dried paint with less effort.
Table of Contents
Remove dried paint from clothes with iron
- Tissue paper
- Olive oil
- Cotton ball
- Laundry detergent
- First thing first, prepare your iron by connecting it to the nearest power source. Now, allow this iron to heat up. If you choose a steam generator iron, wait for approximately two minutes. In contrast, regular steam irons can heat up properly in just one minute.
- Place two or one pieces of tissue paper on paint stains. Now, run hot soleplate over stain areas to melt dried paints. Do it several times until paints are removed thoroughly. Furthermore, always use clean surface of tissue paper.
- Now, take a small amount of olive oil in a cotton ball. Use this ball to rub stain areas. You may have to rub stains several times to eradicate paint.
- Lastly, wash that particular spot with powerful laundry detergent. For cleaning purposes, use a toothbrush and rinse properly.
Instructions to follow while using hot iron
From the previous discussion, it may be clear that hot iron can remove dried paints from clothes. However, hot iron can take toll on your life and garments too. Therefore, always follow ironing safety rules. These rules are-
- Always use a standard iron. Never buy cheap irons from market as those can harm clothes instead of doing good.
- If your garment is delicate, use a pressing cloth. This cloth will save your garments from hot and dirty soleplate.
- Before using an iron, read the catalogue carefully. It may help you to understand settings and troubleshoot some common problems.
- Before ironing, sort clothes properly. Start with garments that requires lower temperatures and gradually move forwards.
- While ironing garments, keep children and aged people away from it.
- Never try to touch hot soleplate with bare hands.
- Select appropriate settings for clothes. Incorrect temperature can leave shiny marks on clothes.
- Always fill the water tank to the maximum fill line.
- Use a insulated and unbroken power cord. Otherwise, you may get electric shocks.
- Never use a damaged iron.
- Never got distracted while using hot iron.
- After using iron, wait for it cool down completely. After that, store it in a secured place.
How to choose an standard iron
Manufacturers always state that their irons are awesome. However, all irons aren’t better. Actually, present market is infested with cheap irons. That’s why choose an iron with appropriate features.
Firstly, As you want to remove dried paint from clothes, choose an iron that heats up quickly. Many irons take longer time to heat up. Never select such an iron. Instead, select an iron that heats up within minutes.
Secondly, soleplate ensures proper heat distribution on items. For soleplate, manufacturers generally uses-
- Stainless steel
For improved gliding and better performance, select irons with stainless steel soleplate. It allows iron to move smoothly over garments.
Thirdly, longer cord always give you flexibility compared to shorter cord. That’s why pick an iron with longer power cord.
Therefore, select an iron that can fulfill the criteria mentioned above. If you want my suggestion, pick Rowenta DW9280. This iron is backed by 1800 watts of power to let you iron faster. This 9280 heats up in less than a minute, which is great. Moreover,
- It has stainless steel soleplate with non-stick coating.
- It weighs only 3.85 lbs. Therefore, you may not feel awkward while using it.
- It has a 7 ft. swivel cord with 360 degree movability.
- This iron is manufacture in Germany.
- This iron is equipped with additional features like self-clean, anti-calcium, and anti-drip.
To read the full review of this iron, read Rowenta DW9280 Steam Iron Reviews.
Can iron remove dried paint from clothes perfectly?
In most cases, you may remove dried paints with iron. However, if you can’t get your items clean, use other methods. Moreover, some fabrics can’t be ironed. As a result, ironing isn’t an viable option for those.
Therefore, learn other tips and tricks to remove dried paint from clothes.
How to remove dried paint out of clothes
Rubbing alcohol method
- Dull knife
- Rubbing alcohol
- Warm water
- Hot water
- Laundry detergent
- Firstly, use a dull knife to remove dried paint as much as possible. Go slow through this process. If not, you may ruin your garments.
- Apply rubbing alcohol on stain zones.
- Again, rub the spot with a dull knife. Repeat this process until paints are lifted fully.
- When stains are gone, run warm or hot water over the affected areas.
- Lastly, launder garments normally with powerful laundry detergent. You may use washer or simply handwash them.
- Cold water
- First of all, get rid of excess paint using a knife or spoon. For delicate fabrics, use a toothbrush.
- Now, soak your stained cloth in cold water for several minutes. Then, remove excess water from items using hands.
- Prepare a mixture of one cup of ammonia, vinegar, and some salt.
- Dip a sponge in this solution. Now, use this sponge to blot the dried paint. Continue this process until stains are removed properly.
- Lastly, wash clothes as usual.
Most importantly, ammonia is a very toxic gas. It can hamper tissue upon contact and can be fatal for any living object. That’s why always use this material with caution.
Window cleaner method
- Window cleaner
- Firstly, grab a sponge and apply window cleaner onto it.
- Now, use it to blot paint. Then, rinse. Continue this process until colors are lifted fully.
- After removing stains, throw that item in washer. Use a setting that is perfect for the garment.
- Lastly, dry normally.
By the way, these three techniques work better with water-based paints. However, if you want to remove oil paints from garments, choose more powerful and aggressive cleaning materials.
Clean your clothes
Removing dried paint from clothes can be challenging. Therefore, you must learn the hacks to save your work suits. In most cases, you may be able to remove stains. If not, use those outfits for the following decorative projects.