Chewing gum stains can be a serious problem for your garments. To remove, you must use proper materials. However, finding the proper solution on the internet is troublesome.
Interestingly, your favorite steam iron can save you from this trouble. To know more, read the whole article.
Removing chewing gum from clothes using iron
- Ironing board
- Warm water
- Laundry detergent
- Firstly, prepare your ironing board. If you use folded ironing board, open and close it by pressing the leaver beneath the board. For tabletop ironing board, place it on your bed, washer, or dryer.
- Now, grab cardboard and keep it on ironing board. Choose a clean one as dirt may put stains on your items.
- Simply put your garment on cardboard. You’ve to put the gum side of fabrics on cardboard to let it stick to board.
- Turn on your iron by connecting it to the nearest power source. Select a medium heat setting. Then, wait a few minutes to allow the iron to heat up properly.
- Now, move iron gently and slowly over the stained area to soften and transfer the gum to the cardboard. Continue this process until the gum is lifted.
- Search for the gum mark on your cloth. If you notice marks, take a tub and prepare a solution with warm water and liquid detergent. Wait a while to allow the ingredients to mix properly.
- Soak your garment in the tub and leave it there for almost an hour. After that, remove it and get rid of the excess water using your hands.
- Now, throw it into washer and add liquid detergent to it. Choose a setting that is perfect for that particular garment.
- Lastly, dry as usual.
Instructions to maintain while using an iron
Your clothes iron can get chewing gum out of clothes. However, you need to follow some rules while using an iron. Take a look-
- Always follow ironing tips for beginners and ironing safety rules.
- Read the catalog of iron to set the temperature settings perfectly.
- It’s always convenient to iron wet garments. So, use a spray bottle or spray mist button of your iron to damp fabrics a bit.
- If you want to remove chewing gum from delicate fabrics, iron those items carefully. For better protection, use a pressing cloth.
- Never put iron on a specific spot for longer. If so, it may put shiny marks and even burn them.
- Some fabrics can’t be ironed. Never apply this technique to them.
- Try to move iron on garments in a gentle manner. Inappropriate ironing can shrink, fade, or stretch items.
Frequently asked questions
How to remove chewing gum from clothes using ice cubes?
Like high temperatures, lower temperatures can remove chewing gum from clothes. That’s why you can freeze garments or apply ice cubes to them.
- Ice cubes
- Laundry detergent
- Firstly, place ice cubes over stained area and leave it there for around 30 minutes to soften it.
- Now, try to remove softened gum using hands.
- Grab a spoon or knife if gum leaves any marks on garments. For delicate fabrics like silk, chiffon, and wool, use a toothbrush.
- Now, wash clothes as usual. Add detergent to washer and throw clothes in it. Choose a gentle cycle. Remove clothes as soon as the cycle finishes.
- Lastly, dry clothes naturally instead of using a dryer.
Enjoy chewing gum!
Enjoying chewing gum is superb to pass quality time while enjoying sports. If it sticks to your pants or scarfs, don’t worry. Just use your iron and get gum out of clothes.