When you observe wrinkles, you have to either iron or steam garments. Perfect ironing can easily remove wrinkles. But, does steaming clothes remove wrinkles?
Does steaming clothes remove wrinkles? Steaming is a method that works better on both regular and stubborn wrinkles. Even, it can provide you better results compared to ironing. Moreover, it stays gentle on most fabrics.
Are you curious to know more? Then, stay with me. Let’s start with how to steam items to remove wrinkles.
Table of Contents
How To Remove Wrinkles by Steaming
If you want to steam clothes, invest in a powerful garment steamer. A powerful handheld steamer works better on regular and extra-large items. Don’t worry about its price. You can easily buy a steamer even under $50 from Amazon.
Before steaming, check the garment care tag. If your dress doesn’t come up with a tag, apply steam on a smaller portion of your dress. After that-
- Fill the water tank of your steamer with tap water.
- Plugin your steamer into the nearest power source and allow it to heat up for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, grab a hanger and place garments on hanging pole. For a handheld steamer, secure it on the back of a chair or whatever you like.
- Cover every section of your fabrics by running steamer up and down.
Interestingly, if you don’t own a steamer, you can still apply steam to your dress. In such situations-
- Grab a powerful steam iron.
- Apply hot shower steam
- Apply steam from electric tea kettle
- Ice cube steaming
Grab a Powerful Steam Iron
Nowadays, most irons are designed with powerful steam bursts and regular steam features. Moreover, they have larger water tanks. In some cases, their reservoir sizes are larger than that of handheld steamers.
Hence, you can apply steam on garments using a steam iron. I’ve been using Rowenta DW9280 for several years. It can generate 35 g/min of continuous steam and 210 g/min of steam burst. It comes with a larger tank with a capacity of approximately 12 ounces. I use it to de-wrinkle all garments type.
To get better results, first read the instruction manual. Then, practice and learn how to steam garments perfectly.
Apply Hot Shower Steam
If you don’t have a steamer or a robust iron, you can still steam your items. Just utilize hot shower steam on garments and amaze yourself.
To do this-
- First, place garments in your bathroom. Make sure that all doors and windows are closed correctly. Most importantly, keep garments close to shower area.
- Now, run hot shower at the highest possible temperature. Never direct the shower head towards your dress.
- Leave garments there for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Air dry items if you observe too many watermarks on garments.
Apply Steam From Electric Tea Kettle
If you notice minor wrinkles on items, solve it with an electric tea kettle. In this method, boil water in a tea kettle. Then, hold steamer almost a foot away from garment and run steam on it. Great! Wrinkles are vanished!
Ice cube steaming
That’s another excellent method to melt away wrinkles from clothes quickly. Under this method-
- First and foremost, collect some ice cubes from refrigerator.
- Now, toss your clothes and ice cubes into dryer.
- After ten to fifteen minutes, remove clothes.
- Shake them a little bit and enjoy wrinkle-free items.
By the way, set your dryer at the hottest possible settings. At high temperatures, ice cubes will melt and throw steam towards your items. Remember, you shouldn’t overfill the dryer with too many items.
Instructions To Follow While Steaming Clothes
While steaming, you need to follow some instructions. Take a look-
- All garments can’t be steamed. Steaming can ruin delicate fabrics easily. Therefore, be careful while steaming softer materials.
- Don’t press steamer too hard on fabrics.
- Always move steamer in downward strokes on garment.
- Never apply steaming on clothes while wearing them.
- Turn clothes inside out during steaming if items are highly wrinkled.
- You may have to dry clothes after steaming them.
Where to buy garment steamer
You can buy steamer from various sources. If you prefer free delivery and good service, buy it from Amazon. You can choose Conair Turbo ExtremeSteam Garment Steamer as it comes with so many advanced features. Take a look-
- This Conair steamer can be used as iron too.
- To let you iron fabrics, it has an aluminum soleplate.
- It has four different steam settings.
- It heats up fast in just 10 seconds, thanks to its 1875 watts of power.
- This steamer is designed with a larger water tank of 8.5 oz.
- It has advanced safety features and LED panels.
- You can use it on clothes, bedsheets, curtains, and drapes.
- This device is easy to operate.
Most importantly, this is not that expensive. You can get it for less than $100. To check its price at Amazon, click here.
How Long Does It Take To Steam Out Wrinkles?
There are many benefits of steaming clothes. According to laundress, steaming not only removes wrinkles fast but also protects garments from insects like fleas, bed bugs, bust mites, fungus, and lice. Moreover, it perfectly removes germs from items.
Therefore, if you prefer a faster method than ironing, use a steamer without any doubt. However, when you apply hot shower steam, steaming will be slow. You have to wait almost 15 minutes for perfect results.
Does a clothes steamer replace an iron?
A steamer can easily replace an iron. Iron can provide you with several benefits as it-
- Keeps garments fresh and crisp.
- Removes foul odors from clothes.
- Keeps clothes free from insects like moth eggs, bed bugs, dust mites, fleas, fungus, and lice.
- Removes wrinkles from literally any fiber.
- Kills bacteria, virus and other germs from dresses.
Interestingly, you can reap these benefits with a steamer too. Moreover, steaming is faster and easy compared to ironing. You don’t require any additional appliances for steaming items. But, you must use an ironing board to get professional results from ironing.
Steam more and more
If your items are heavily wrinkled, I hope this article may benefit you. There’re many tricks to remove wrinkles from garments. Steaming is just one of those methods. Most importantly, it’s one of the practical and easiest methods to de-wrinkle items.
To steam comfortably, you need to invest in a handheld steamer as it’s perfect for every situation. You can also steam items with hot shower or electric kettle tricks. But they’re a little bit slower.
Therefore, buy a steamer and steam items more and more.