Rowenta iron may be a wonderful choice for your home. It can save you with wrinkle-free polished garments. But, if you don’t know how to clean this iron properly, you may end up with a damaged one very soon. So, always take good care of it.
Cleaning Rowenta iron
There are several ways to clean your iron. Check the following tips and tricks to improve its lifespan.
Cleaning with baking soda
Baking soda is one of the most widely used materials in the cleaning industry. You can use it to clean your Rowenta iron too.
- First, turn off your iron and let it cool.
- Now, take ½ of baking soda in a container. Add some water to make a paste. Don’t pour too much water.
- After making the paste, apply it on soleplate and wait for few minutes.
- Take a clean towel and clean the soleplate carefully. You can use water if needed. Clean the steam holes carefully. Otherwise, you may face problems during your next ironing.
- Leave the iron for several minutes and let it dry.
Cleaning with vinegar
Vinegar is another good cleaner. Do you use it often? You can use it for cleaning water reservoir of your Rowenta iron too.
- First, unplug the iron from power connection. Let it cool if it is too hot. Hot iron may hurt your skin. So, be careful.
- Check out the steam vents on soleplate for white residue. Clean those with a toothpick. Don’t use metal items as they will distort the soleplate. After cleaning the soleplate properly, vinegar will work better.
- Prepare a mixture of ¼ of vinegar and ¾ of distilled water. Pour it into the water reservoir. If your iron is too clogged, use a larger amount of vinegar.
- Plugin the iron and turn on the steam function. Leave the iron for at least five minutes to heat up.
- Check the steam button at the front of handle. Push it down and let the iron steam for 20-30 seconds. Repeat this process 6 to 7 times and check whether steam is working properly or not.
- Unplug the iron and empty the water tank. Otherwise, minerals will build up in the reservoir.
- Now, fill the reservoir with one cup of distilled water and turn it in. Hold the steam button to clean your iron properly.
Now, your iron is clean and free from any mineral deposits. So, use it to iron clothes effectively.
In addition, you can use vinegar to clean soleplate of Rowenta iron too.
- First, make a solution by adding banking soda to white vinegar. Stir the solution gently to make a paste.
- Turn off the iron and unplug it from power connection.
- After cool down, use toothpick to clean steam vents.
- Now, pick a soft cloth and immerse it into the solution. Rub the cloth smoothly on soleplate to clean steam vents. You may notice some melted materials on it. Clean those too.
- Rinse the soleplate with water. Use a gentle towel. Never use any hard object, like steel wool, to do so.
Use self-clean function
Rowenta iron comes with a handy self-clean function. You have to use that function after every two weeks. It will remove dirt particles from steam vents to prolong the lifespan of your iron.
- Fill the water reservoir to the maximum point with tap water. Move the temperature knob to 3, the highest temperature point. Allow the iron to heat up for few minutes.
- Unplug the iron for safety purposes and keep it over any sink.
- Set the steam settings to self-clean position. Now, steam will create. After a few moments, water will come out with dirt and other unwanted particles.
- After one minute, return the steam leaver to steam setting and plug the iron again to heat up.
- Keep your iron on its heel and wait for the remaining water to come out from the soleplate.
- Unplug the iron and allow it to cool down.
- Use a soft towel to rinse the soleplate. Don’t use any abrasive material.
Clean the Soleplate
Cleaning the soleplate of Rowenta is super easy. Buy Rowenta iron soleplate cleaning kit and maintain the following instructions-
- First, empty the water tank and plug the iron into the nearest power outlet.
- Set the temperature knob to number 3 setting. Always use the highest possible temperature to clean the soleplate. Never apply soleplate cleaning kit on a cold iron.
- Protect your ironing board with an old and clean cloth.
- Pick a terry cloth towel and fold it in half. Apply a 2-inch cleaning kit on it.
- Rub the hot iron in a circular motion on the cleaner. Try to cover the full surface of soleplate. Iron may create some smoke. Don’t worry.
- Liftoff the iron and pick another cloth. Move your iron on it to clean the surface properly.
- Check the soleplate. If it isn’t clean, repeat the process again.
- Before the next use, always check whether steam function and steam burst are working properly or not. If you notice some clogging, clean the soleplate properly. If not, it may hurt the durability of your iron.
You may use either Rowenta Soleplate Cleaning Kit or any standard cleaning kit. However, don’t impose this cleaning agent on your iron very often. Frequent usage may damage the smoothness of soleplate.
Always take extra precautions when ironing polyester clothes. Polyester may be damaged at a higher temperature and melted polyesters may distort the soleplate.
Clean with toothpaste
Toothpaste works effectively in cleaning the soleplate. Do you know that? It can clean your teeth. So, why not the soleplate?
First, unplug your iron from power connection and check whether it is hot. If so, allow it some time to cool down.
Now, take sufficient amount of toothpaste and apply it to the soleplate. Rub it properly on the surface. Wait for few minutes and clean soleplate properly with a damp towel.
One last thing, always try to use white toothpaste!
How often should you clean?
The longevity of an item depends on how properly you use it. Rowenta is one of the most globally renowned companies. So, if you don’t take proper care, your investment would be a huge wastage of money.
Therefore, always read the instruction manual before using it. Moreover, reading the manual will assist you to understand its functions better.
The answer to the following question usually depends on how often you use it. If you are a frequent user, you should probably wash it more often.
However, the standard is to clean Rowenta iron at least once every month.
Instructions for using Rowenta Iron
- Never immerse your iron in water.
- Rowenta allows users to use tap water. If the water is too hard, mix it with bottled spring water.
- Use all knobs very carefully. Don’t push those very hard.
- Fill the water reservoir to the maximum mark.
- Unplug iron from power connection before filling the reservoir or washing iron with water.
- After every use, clean the soleplate with a damp towel.
- Always check stem holes before starting steam. Clogged steam holes can be harmful in the long run.
- Use standard cleaning kit to clean soleplate.
- Place the iron on its heel after use. Such a position will protect the soleplate effectively.
For more information, click here
Frequently asked questions
How do you descale a Rowenta steam iron?
Rowenta iron comes with the Anti-Calc System. This system contains a special material that prevents iron from harmful objects.
The main purpose of this system is to extend the lifespan of iron. Moreover, it retains the high steam performance. Therefore, don’t use any descaling material for your iron.
How do you clean the inside of an iron?
To clean the inside of an iron-
- Prepare a solution of ¼ white vinegar and ¾ distilled water.
- Pour the mixture in the water tank.
- Plugin the iron to the power outlet and turn on the steam function.
- Leave the iron on the ironing board to heat up. It may take 6 to 7 minutes.
- Press the steam button and steam 5 to 6 times.
- Unplug the iron and let it cool.
- Empty the water tank and clean it properly.
- Fill the tank with clean water to remove any remaining material.
Why is my Rowenta iron not steaming?
If your Rowenta iron doesn’t steam, you should check some settings of the iron carefully.
- First, check the water tank. If the water tank is empty, steam won’t work.
- Turn on the steam function. Sometimes, your iron may set to dry setting. Steam function doesn’t work when the dry option is on.
- Allow the iron to heat up for 5 to 6 minutes. If the iron isn’t hot enough, it won’t create steam.
- Set the temperature knob to the shaded setting. This setting represents steam.
- Use the iron in a horizontal position. Steam creates only when you use iron in such way.
- Check whether steam vents are clogged or not. You may use a toothpick to clean vents properly. Don’t use any sharp objects.
Why is my Rowenta iron leaking brown water?
The main cause of the problem is the water that you used to fill up the tank. If the water is hard, minerals may build up inside the reservoir. These minerals may clog the steam vents.
As a result, Rowenta iron may leak brown water. So, never use hard water for your iron. If your water is hard enough, mix it with bottled fountain water.
Most importantly, Rowenta iron has a built-in Anti-Calc System to prevent iron from such materials. Use that function to protect iron.
What causes a Rowenta iron to leak water?
- First of all, check the water tank. If it is overfilled, Iron may leak water.
- When the iron is not hot enough, it may leak. Allow the iron to heat up between each burst.
- After plugin, don’t start steaming. Steam is created only at hot temperatures. So, give it some time.
How long should Rowenta iron last?
In the USA, Rowenta iron is providing a warranty period of 1 year. So, you may expect your iron to last for at least that period. In general, Rowenta iron lasts approximately 4 to 5 years.
However, it would help if you took proper care of your iron. Otherwise, you can’t use it for a longer duration. Contact its service centers when needed. Don’t try to repair it by yourself.
What is the warranty on a Rowenta iron?
The warranty (link) period of a Rowenta iron is one year. It covers all costs related to the restoration of the defective item. Warranty may not work for the following conditions-
- Unauthorized repair or modification of this product.
- Damage for using wrong voltage.
- Immersion in water.
- Using the wrong type of water.
- Accidents, like fire, flood.
- Damage due to short circuit.
Always take proper care of your Rowenta iron to get better service. Otherwise, you may face difficulty in ironing clothes. A defective Rowenta iron means more time for ironing and more frustration.